Tuesday 20 April 2010

Cocorosie Interview

Full interview up on This is Fake DIY

Have you started planning for the impending tour?
We know we’re going to have a beat boxer, a creole based percussionist, playing alternative instruments like pots and pans, and pianist Gael Rakotondrabe who’s been playing with us for three years. He was a big part of this record. All the piano you hear on the new record is him; drunk and blindfolded, being fed crazy music through ear phones. He was just completely intoxicated.
So no inhibitions then?
(Laughs). Well we wanted to challenge him. He’s like a prodigy pianist. He plays with so many musicians that we wanted this to be a completely different experience.
What would you have been if not half of CocoRosie?
A sheepherder.
Seriously?
Before I started this group that’s what I wanted to do. I was going to start in Switzerland; I found a guy who was going to let me apprentice starting with cows. Traditionally you have to apprentice for a couple of seasons. So they start you off with cows and then you move to sheep.
And are cows more timid than sheep?
I guess cows are less dangerous cause sheep can run away and get eaten by wolves.


CocoRosie - Grey Oceans Album Trailer 2/3 from Souterrain Transmissions on Vimeo.

Cocorosie's new album is unleashed in May 2010. Brace yourself. They'll be showcasing their work in London on 5 May at the Union Chapel.

Watch out for the interview up soon on This is Fake DIY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you looking at?

My photo
I am more than prone to monologues; however, this is solely due to the manner in which they compliment a witty anecdote and their ability to resemble concrete evidence when it is so obviously lacking. I often wish I could emulate that aloof character who coolly stands in the corner smiling mysteriously as if she has a secret. However, I fear resisting the temptation to involve myself in other people’s conflicts and responding through body language rather than verbose banter may come across as contrived and arrogant. And, I am not willing to take that chance.

Ye Faithful