Wednesday 11 February 2009

"Eat or Be Eaten"

Recently nothing has ever resounded so deep within me, like this has. It pryed open my pursed lips, slid down my tongue and bounced off my tonsils. It waved goodbye to my oral cavity as it left my pharynx and prepared to enter my oesophagus. Approximately 25-30 cm later, it had reach it's destination. My stomach.

And you know what? It sat quite well.

The above is the kind of sentance, that when finished stares blankly at you, while the cursor impatiently blinks; surprised by the honesty yet hesitant to hear more.

What does it mean when you're willing to climb over people? Does it reek of desperation? Or are you just proving Charles Darwin's 'Survival of the fittest', a synonym for his 1895 theory of 'natural selection'? The truth is that, 'survival of the fittest' was actually a metaphor, unlike it's scientific descriptive counterpart, 'natural selection'.

Natural selection means any organism which is capable of reproducing itself on an ongoing basis will survive as a species, not just the "fittest" ones.

Sorry Charlie but today I think we'll chose the former.

Eat or be eaten is the 21st century's equivalent to Darwin's metaphor 'survival of the fittest'

So today's equation class is:

EOBE = SOTF

And unfortunatly it comes with a lot of baggage and when we break it down we find the big one: loyalty.

Loyalty: (noun) that comes with connotations of amicability, happiness, faithfullness, fidelity..

Everybody wants to reach their potential, which is an ambiguous term within itself, and in order to see what an individual can do you've got to reach further, walk faster, or fucking run. Whatever will get you to the finish line before anyone else.

The last thing you want to do is rest on your laurels, and because we are all ruled by that ethereal concept know as 'emotion' it's always harder in practice. But it ain't so difficult to become disheartened, especially, right now during this crunchy credit time.

I recently came across a facebook status that read as follows: X is getting used to taking rejection well. It made me sad, but it also made me angry.. and ironically enough i'm sure after writing it they did not realise the gravity of their words. A result of their flittering fingers being woed by that sturdy and ever reliable keyboard.

Why would you ever get used to rejection? It doesn't feel good and it's definitely not like forcing yourself to eat 'greens' because in the end you know your doing youself a service. It's like drinking metholated spirits and 'hoping for the best'. But I guess if you're crazy enough to drink metho then your concept of what's 'best' would be rather distorted.

The only thing you should do with rejection, is use it as a stepping stone, stand on it and you'll only be able to reach higher than before.

Moral of the story: Eat that last piece of cake, before it eats you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you looking at?

My photo
I am more than prone to monologues; however, this is solely due to the manner in which they compliment a witty anecdote and their ability to resemble concrete evidence when it is so obviously lacking. I often wish I could emulate that aloof character who coolly stands in the corner smiling mysteriously as if she has a secret. However, I fear resisting the temptation to involve myself in other people’s conflicts and responding through body language rather than verbose banter may come across as contrived and arrogant. And, I am not willing to take that chance.

Ye Faithful