Sunday 4 January 2009

Isn't it Ironic?


In “Reality Bites,” Winona Ryder, applying for a newspaper job, is stumped when asked to “define irony.” It’s a good question. Ryder replies, “Well, I can’t really define irony … but I know it when I see it.” Really?

IRONY

Everytime I come across this word, this scene comes to mind. A scene that portrays so much more than a perplexed Winona, but a situation in which she is faced with the ultimate opportunity; where she comes to a fork in the road and by not knowing the answer she is told to go 'straight to jail, do not pass go and do not collect your $200'!

Funnily enough I see a lot of similarities between myself and Ryder's character Lelaina Pierce and consciously make this scene a lesson learned. Learn the definition of 'irony' and you'll never be faced with such a situation...

Lelaina: Can you define “irony”?
Troy Dyer: It’s when the actual meaning is the complete opposite from the literal meaning.

But then what about all the other words? What if I'm nervously waiting in the Herald Sun HQ and solitary voice of reason Andrew Bolt walks past me and ask me the definition of candour or rapacious?!

Then I guess I'd excuse myself and look it up on my iPhone.

Note to self- Get an iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you looking at?

My photo
I am more than prone to monologues; however, this is solely due to the manner in which they compliment a witty anecdote and their ability to resemble concrete evidence when it is so obviously lacking. I often wish I could emulate that aloof character who coolly stands in the corner smiling mysteriously as if she has a secret. However, I fear resisting the temptation to involve myself in other people’s conflicts and responding through body language rather than verbose banter may come across as contrived and arrogant. And, I am not willing to take that chance.

Ye Faithful