Saturday 8 September 2012

Review: The XX - Coexist

I struggle to keep my eyes open while my ears work on over-drive. They are my tools and the XX's sophomore studio album is l'objet d'amour. Though after spending a little over half an hour listening to the post-dubstep, surly, electro-rock offering I'm not convinced. Elements of their debut weave throughout but nothing captures me. Nothing arrests my attention - interrupting my train of thought.

It's disappointing but I'm not surprised. There's a reason why the crowd loves a soul singer - we love to see the strain in their face because we want to see the music as much as we want to hear it. Watch an XX liveshow and you'll get little more than pursed-lips between verses.

4/10 on this Saturday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you looking at?

My photo
I am more than prone to monologues; however, this is solely due to the manner in which they compliment a witty anecdote and their ability to resemble concrete evidence when it is so obviously lacking. I often wish I could emulate that aloof character who coolly stands in the corner smiling mysteriously as if she has a secret. However, I fear resisting the temptation to involve myself in other people’s conflicts and responding through body language rather than verbose banter may come across as contrived and arrogant. And, I am not willing to take that chance.

Ye Faithful